Muirfield is the home of The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers. The earliest written records of the Club date back to 1744, when our predecessors played on Leith Links and later at Musselburgh before moving to Muirfield in 1891. Today, Members and staff extend a warm welcome to Members’ Guests and to Visitors, from the UK and from around the world.
The course at Muirfield was created by Old Tom Morris in 1891 and then re-designed in 1925 by Harry Colt using the original area and an additional 50 acres purchased by the Club.
The purpose of this booklet is to provide a flavour of the culture and traditions that have been shaped by the history of the Club and of the course.
Muirfield has been the venue for many special events: 16 Open and 11 Amateur Championships; the Ryder, Walker and Curtis Cups; and numerous international and national tournaments. Most recently we hosted the AIG Women’s Open Championship, early August 2022.
The Honourable Company welcomes Visiting Golfers to Muirfield on Tuesdays and Thursdays year round and will endeavour to make your visit truly memorable, both on and off the course.